2 Mar 2018

Book Beginnings on Friday and the Friday 56 #6

 
Book Beginnings on Friday and The Friday 56 are weekly memes hosted by Rose City Reader and Freda's Voice.
 
Rules: 

Book Beginnings: Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. 

The Friday 56: Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% in you eReader. Find any sentence (not spoilery) and reflect on it if you want.

My current read is:

by Melissa Lenhardt 


Synopsis:

Outlander meets post-Civil War unrest in this fast-paced historical debut.

When Dr. Catherine Bennett is wrongfully accused of murder, she knows her fate likely lies with a noose unless she can disappear. Fleeing with a bounty on her head, she escapes with her maid to the uncharted territories of Colorado to build a new life with a new name. Although the story of the murderess in New York is common gossip, Catherine's false identity serves her well as she fills in as a temporary army doctor. But in a land unknown, so large and yet so small, a female doctor can only hide for so long.
 
 
Book Beginning:
  
"I'll have some fresh ones on the morrow."
I pulled on my gloves and donned my slouch hat.
"I do not know when I will be back".
"No, no. O'course. Part of the job, idin't? Not knowin' where you'll be, what you'll be doin'. Hard on a woman."
"No harder than on a man, I assure you."
 
'Fresh ones' as fresh corpses. Our heroine uses her free time to widen her anatomical knowledge in a New York basement. It's clear even on the first page that men don't approve of her being a doctor.


The Friday 56:

"He was injured, my uncle, and Dr. Elliston saved him. Performed surgery out there on the plains with a storm coming. You should have heard Kindle's men sing her praises," Beau said.

Once she puts her skills to use, the hard men of the frontier start to appreciate her, of course.

I feel the author wants to make me like Laura a lot and that is exactly what keeps me from liking her. It is stated so many times that she is a brilliant physician, that she is doing the whole thing to save people, that she is tough... I'm not sure she has any flaws at all, and that makes her a bit too distant for me. 
 
Well, I'm still in the beginning of the novel, hopefully I'll see some charcter development here...

What are you reading this week? Drop a link to your Friday post below, if you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment